Monika Flemming, local historian and author, leads walking tours of the historic district, beginning at the Blount-Bridgers House, on Saturday mornings during summer and fall. For more information, contact the Blount-Bridgers House at 252-823-4159.
Explore the town’s attractions at HistoricTarboro.com.
Featured Historical Buildings and Museums
- Edgecombe County Veterans’ Military Museum-Located in downtown Tarboro at 106 West Church Street, the Edgecombe County Veterans’ Military Museum honors and commemorates those with a connection to Edgecombe County who serve(d) in this nation’s military by preserving, displaying and paying tribute to the history, memories and artifacts, and other evidence of what so many have done, given and sacrificed for the people of this nation.
- Calvary Episcopal Church-This Gothic Revival church, designed by William Percival and completed in 1867, is among the most important antebellum Gothic churches in NC. The grounds contain both exotic and native trees, shrubs and ivy, and are regarded regionally and beyond as a grand arboretum. The Calvary Episcopal Church is located at 411 East Church Street.
- Pender Museum of Edgecombe County History (Silas and Rebecca Everett House, circa 1810)-Built in about 1810 for Silas and Rebecca Everett, this modest hall-parlor house, with a broken pitch gable roof, is typical of the coastal plain house for middling and small North Carolina farmers throughout most of the Nineteenth Century. This small house is finished in a manner comparable to larger houses along the Tar River, including tapered porch posts with molded caps, intricate dentil cornices and decoratively painted interior paneling and mantels.
The late Miss Katherine Pender of Edgecombe County bequested funds for the founding of a museum to preserve the history of the area. These funds, along with donations from members and friends of the Edgecombe County Historical Society, and a grant from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development enabled the house to be preserved and, in 1968, moved from near Conetoe to the grounds of the Blount-Bridgers House. Today, the museum is furnished with local, hand-made furniture of the coastal plain. Many of these pieces are from local Edgecombe County families.
The Pender Museum of History is open by appointment only. Please call 252-823-4159.
National Civil Wars Trails Program
Tarboro and Edgecombe County are included in the National Civil War Trails program, through the NC Division of Tourism and the National Civil War Trails system. Informational signs that document the role of Tarboro and Edgecombe County during the Civil War and focus on Union General Edward Potter’s raid and occupation of Tarboro on July 20, 1863 can be seen at several historic sites. The signs also discuss the only significant battle in this portion of North Carolina known as the Battle of Daniel’s Schoolhouse, which occurred later that day just east of Tarboro.
The sign at Old Town Cemetery/Calvary Church honors the Union soldiers killed at Daniel’s Schoolhouse, the many local Confederate veterans buried in Tarboro, and those who died here at the two Confederate hospitals on the Tarboro Town Common. These men include North Carolina’s Governor during the first year of the Civil War, Gov. Henry Toole Clark, General William Dorsey Pender, several Colonels and other officers, and numerous enlisted men.
- Daniel’s School House–In Tarboro, at the west entrance to the Blount-Bridgers House (Tour Headquarters)
- Potter’s Raid–In Tarboro, on the Town Common adjacent to Wilson Street
- Old Town Cemetery–In Tarboro, next to Old Town Cemetery/Calvary Church on E. St. James Street (behind Howard Memorial Presbyterian Church)
- Princeville–In Princeville a sign commemorates its founding by freed slaves at the Old Town Hall/African-American History Museum.