Blount-Bridgers House

Edgecombe Arts' offices are located at 130 Bridgers St., Tarboro, in the 1808 Blount-Bridgers House ("The Grove"), a national historic landmark. It is home to a permanent collection that celebrates the 200 year-old material culture of Edgecombe County and the creative achievements of Tarboro-born artist Hobson Pittman (1899-1972).

In addition to the oil paintings, pastels, drawings, prints and watercolors by Pittman, the Blount-Bridgers House exhibits locally made period furniture and nineteenth century paintings of Edgecombe County citizens, including work by painters Thomas Sully, Thomas Landseer, and William Garle Brown. Exhibitions of contemporary artists are held in the Hobson Pittman Memorial Gallery on the second floor and are changed six times a year.

The extensive Batts textile collection includes nineteenth century clothing, quilts, and household linens. Archival records and architectural information about Edgecombe County homes are actively collected and preserved.

On the grounds is the restored circa 1810 Silas Everett House, also known as the Pender Museum. Nineteenth century ceramics and twentieth century Jugtown pottery are featured, along with iron utilitarian objects.

Also on the grounds is the circa 1845 Philips Dependency containing historic Edgecombe County farming implements.

For some wonderful photographs of the house and gardens see (former Blount-Bridgers House Foundation president) Watson Brown's Flickr page (make sure to scroll down to get to the second page of photos).

House Tour
Local History Gallery (1st floor front hall)
localhistorygallery.jpg This gallery contains early documents and portraits relating to Tarboro and Edgecombe County history.
Blount Dining Room (1st floor)
diningroom.jpg In this period room setting are objects primarily made in the early antebellum period (before 1860) for entertaining and dining. Objects from the Thomas Blount family (1759-1812), the first family in this house, demonstrate the prosperity of the Tar River planters.
Bridgers Parlor (1st floor)
parlor.jpg In this period room setting are furnishings and decorative objects primarily used in the mid-nineteenth century.
Calvert Landing (2nd floor)
landing.jpg On this landing are important artworks by Hobson Pittman, who was born in Tarboro and spent his adult life in Philadelphia. The landing features many of the works featured in The Poet’s Palette, written by Meade Bridgers Horne, for sale in the gift shop for $25.00.
Hobson Pittman Studio (2nd floor)
studio.jpg In this exhibition space is an open display of the artwork, materials and furniture used by Hobson Pittman in his studio, "Silver Birches", at Bryn Mawr.
Hobson Pittman Memorial Gallery (2nd floor)
Gallery_02.jpg

In this gallery space contemporary shows are changed six times a year (see calendar) to provide visitors a rich and varied look at the art and history of Edgecombe County.

Every year in late November, after the Great Tarboro Art Bazaar comes to a close, the annual Hobson Pittman exhibition is already waiting in the wings to be presented in the Hobson Pittman Memorial Gallery. The works, selected by the Arts Council's Executive Director, annually feature the Edgecombe County artist whose collection of works is the very reason we enjoy such a fine gallery today in the historic museum facility restored in the late 1970s. The Pittman holiday exhibit is a tribute to Hobson Pittman and his artistic legacy and to his niece, Alyce Weeks Gordon Patrick, who saw it through to offer this treasured gift to the Town of Tarboro.