Historic Tarboro Walking Tours

Monika Flemming, local historian and author, leads walking tours of the historic district, starting at the Blount-Bridgers House, on Saturday mornings during the Summer and Fall. For more information, contact the Blount-Bridgers House at 252-823-4159.

Check out some of the town's attractions at HistoricTarboro.com.

Featured Historical Buildings and Museums

Edgecombe County Veterans' Military Museum

Located in downtown Tarboro at 106 West Church Street, the Edgecombe County Veterans' Military Museum honors and commemorates those with a connection to Edgecombe County who serve(d) in this nation's military, by preserving, displaying and paying tribute to the history, memories and artifacts and other evidence of what so many have done, given and sacrificed for the people of this nation.

Calvary Episcopal Church

This Gothic Revival church, designed by William Percival and completed in 1867, is among the most important antebellum Gothic churches in NC. The grounds contain both exotic and native trees, shrubs and ivy and are regarded regionally and beyond as a grand arboretum. The Calvary Episcopal Church is located at 411 East Church Street.

Pender Museum of Edgecombe County History
(Silas and Rebecca Everett House, circa 1810)
Pender_House.jpg

Built about 1810 for Silas and Rebecca Everett, this modest hall-parlor house with a broken pitch gable roof is typical of the coastal plain house for middling and small North Carolina farmers throughout most of the nineteenth century. This small house is finished in a manner comparable to larger houses along the Tar River, including tapered porch posts with molded caps, intricate dentil cornices and decoratively painted interior paneling and mantels.

The late Miss Katherine Pender of Edgecombe County bequested funds for the founding of a museum to preserve the history of the area. These funds, along with donations from members and friends of the Edgecombe County Historical Society and a grant from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development enabled the house to be preserved and, in 1968, moved from near Conetoe to the grounds of the Blount-Bridgers House. Today, the museum is furnished with local hand-made furniture of the coastal plain. Many of these pieces are from local Edgecombe County families.

table.jpg
pendbed.jpg

The Pender Museum of History is open by appointment only. Please call 252-823-4159.